EU - UK Future Relations Negotiations date 03/03/2020
Further information about the UK/EU negotiating positions.
Last week, the UK published details of its negotiating mandate https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/our-approach-to-the-future-relationship-with-the-eu for the future relationship negotiations with the EU. This came after the EU published its negotiating position https://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/42736/st05870-ad01re03-en20.pdf earlier last week.
Both documents are relatively short, highlighting the different approach between the two sides. The documents cover the main areas to be discussed during the negotiations which are as follows:-
- Trade in goods
- Trade in Services and Investment and other issues
- Level Playing field for open and fair competition
- Energy and Civil Nuclear Cooperation
- Mobility and Social Security Coordination
- Law Enforcement and judicial co-operation in criminal matters
- Thematic co-operation
- UK participation on Union Programmes
- Horizontal arrangements and governance
The first round of the negotiations commenced on the 2nd March below is the timetable for the talks (with location) and two other key dates:-
- 2-5 March 2020 – First Round of future relationship negotiations (Brussels)
- 18-20 March 2020 – Second Round of future relationship negotiations. (London)
- 6-8 April 2020 – Third Round of future relationship negotiations. (Brussels)
- 27-30 April 2020 – Fourth Round of future relationship negotiations. (London)
- 13-16 May 2020 – Fifth Round of future relationship negotiations. (Brussels)
- 1 July 2020 – Deadline for extension of the transition period.
- 31 December 2020 – End of Transition Period