Exit mobile menu
Close Menu
home  /  login  /  register  /  search  /  Tel: 020 8844 2266
Menu Menu

Border Operating Model, more information

If you are a business which trades in plants and/or plant products (including timber and wood packaging material), DEFRA have advised more information about what you need to do to prepare for the end of the Transition Period on 1 January 2021.

At the end of the Transition Period, Great Britain (GB) will be treated as a third country by the European Union (EU). As a result, we are putting in place new plant health controls for imports and increasing our capacity to issue phytosanitary certificates for export to the EU.

The second iteration of the Border Operating Model (BOM) was released yesterday, 8 October 2020, and outlines, in detail, the processes and requirements for moving goods between GB and the EU from 1 January 2021 onwards.

What are the key changes I need to know for imports from the EU to GB from 1 January 2021?  

High priority plants and plant products entering the UK: 

  • Must be accompanied by a phytosanitary Certificate (PC). More guidance can be found here.
  • Must be pre-notified via the relevant IT system.
  • Will be subject to physical and identity checks that will take place at place of destination. Importing companies intending to operate as a place of destination will need to register, further information will be available shortly.
  • Imports of solid fuel wood that are not otherwise regulated do not require a PC, but will require pre-notification.

A full list of high priority plants and plant products can be found at GOV.UK.   Further imports guidance from 1 January 2021 can be found here or by viewing the BOM.

What are the key changes to exports of plants and plant products from GB to EU? 

From January 2021  

The process for exporting regulated plants and plant products from GB to the EU will be in-line with those which apply to exports to non-EU countries now: 

  • Check whether a PC is required by contacting the plant health authority in GB or a plant health inspector in the destination country.
  • Apply for a PC from the relevant UK plant health authority before export. Check with your local plant health inspector whether your plants or plant products require laboratory testing to ensure the freedom from specified pests and diseases, or inspections during the growing season.

More guidance on exports can be found here.    

What about timber and wood packaging material (WPM)? 

  • From 1 January 2021, WPM, including wooden pallets, crates, and dunnage, must comply with international standards (ISPM15), including requirements for treatment and compliant marking. For further guidance, visit GOV.UK.

Further changes to imports from EU to GB from April 2021 and July 2021 

  • April 2021: The requirement for phytosanitary certificates and pre-notification is extended to include all regulated plants and plant products (i.e. in addition to high priority plants and plant products). A full list of regulated plants and plant products can be found at GOV.UK.
  • July 2021: Goods will be subject to increased checks, and those checks will move to Border Controls Posts (BCPs).  

Where can you find more information? 

Source: DEFRA

Reset password