Time is running out to prepare for changes to trade with Europe from 1 January 2021
New rules are coming for trade between Great Britain and Europe. HMRC is contacting businesses to urge them to take action, so that they can continue trading with Europe from 1 January 2021.
Time is running out, so if you import or export between Great Britain and Europe, you need to prepare now for new processes. You need to:
- decide how you will make customs declarations
- act now if you intend to get someone to do your customs declarations for you, and work with that person or organisation keep your business moving from 1 January 2021
- check if your imported goods are eligible for staged import controls
More detail can be found in the letter that HMRC have posted to over 200,000 VAT registered businesses this week, and is also published on GOV.UK.
To support businesses to get ready, HMRC has launched a series of short information videos and have a number of live webinars planned in November.
The videos include:
- Exporting and sending goods outside of the UK
- Importing and bringing goods into the UK
- The customs clearance process
- What is a customs intermediary?
- What are controlled goods?
- What is a commodity code?
- How do I export?
And can be accessed here https://www.gov.uk/guidance/help-and-support-if-your-business-trades-with-the-eu
Other useful links:
Link to handy decision trees on importing and exporting processes: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-import-and-export-goods-between-great-britain-and-the-eu-from-1-january-2021
Here’s a link to our step by step guide to importing: https://www.gov.uk/prepare-to-import-to-great-britain-from-january-2021
And a link to our step by step guide to exporting: https://www.gov.uk/prepare-to-export-from-great-britain-from-january-2021
LinkedIn: HM Revenue & Customs